- 256 grams vermicelli noodles (made of semolina, not rice)
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) olive oil, divided
- 8 anchovy fillets (packed in oil)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) crushed red pepper
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) salt
- Ground black pepper
- Cook the vermicelli in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, then set aside to cool.
- Add one tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat, then fry the anchovies, garlic and crushed red pepper for two to three minutes. Do not let garlic burn. Remove from heat.
- To a large bowl, add cooled vermicelli, anchovy-garlic oil, eggs, most of the fresh basil (reserve some for garnish), Parmesan, salt, and pepper and mix together.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the same pan you used to fry the anchovy fillets and garlic, and heat over medium heat. Add the vermicelli and egg mixture to the frying pan, making sure it sits in one even layer. Cook until browned on the bottom, about eight minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is browned.
- Remove from pan, cut into slices, and serve garnished with fresh basil and sprinkled with Parmesan.