- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cups (1.2 liters) chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) pepper
- 4 cups (960 milliliters) stale country-style bread
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) basil leaves, torn
- Pour some water into a shallow bowl, add the onion, and leave to soak; this will help take some sharpness out of the flavour.
- Drain onion and add to bowl with tomato and cucumber. Mix together olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour into bowl and toss to coat. Using your hands, tear bread into four centimeter cubes. Add bread to bowl. Toss again. Let sit two hours so that flavours can mingle.
- Add basil just before serving and toss one last time.