- 1 1/2 cups (360 milliliters) strong espresso
- 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) sugar
- 2 cup (480 milliliters) mascarpone cheese
- 28-32 lady fingers
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- 72 grams dark chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Prepare the espresso and let it cool in a shallow bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until light and fluffy, about five minutes. Add sugar slowly to egg yolks, whisking until sugar has completely dissolved. Add mascarpone cheese to yolk mixture and whip together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped egg whites into mascarpone mixture.
- Dip lady fingers in espresso, coating both sides, then layer them in the bottom of an 20 x 25 centimeter serving dish. Cover the lady fingers with half of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat with another layer of espresso-soaked lady fingers, then another layer of mascarpone mixture. Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least six hours or overnight.
- Dust the top of the tiramisu with cocoa powder and decorate with chocolate shavings. Serve cold.