Tofu scramble base:
- Rinse and drain the water from the package of tofu. Pat the brick of tofu with a paper towel to absorb any excess water.
- Add coconut oil to a nonstick pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat and fry shallot for about one minute, until soft.
- Crumble the tofu by hand into small pieces into the frying pan. Heat and fry together for another two to three minutes, then start adding in the spices, sea salt, and nutritional yeast. Cook for another four minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and you're starting to see some browning on the tofu.
- Add nondairy milk and cook for another two minutes. During these last couple of minutes add ground pepper and green onion if you like.
*Hot tip: for a more layered tofu scramble you can add any veggies you like to the mix. Try finely chopped kale, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes or zucchini. It's a great way to use up left overs as well! If you're adding mushrooms or zucchini cook them in the pan with the shallots because they take longer, and leave kale and tomatoes closer to the end.
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes that will be fast to cook. In a pan heated to medium, add coconut oil and the potatoes and sauté for four to five minutes. Then add the paprika, cumin, chili flakes, sea salt, and ground black pepper and cook for another ten minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Set the potatoes aside and brown the vegan Italian sausage in the same pan until cooked through and golden brown.
- Make the tofu scramble in the same pan. Once the scramble has come together, add in finely chopped kale, green onion, and black beans and heat through for two to three minutes stirring over medium heat. Then add the vegan cheddar style shreds on top and cover with a lid. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the cheese to melt.
- To assemble the tacos, heat your tortillas either in a pan or oven. Then use two tortillas per taco so they don't break! Place some tofu scramble and potatoes in the tortilla, then top with salsa and vegan sour cream. Serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be re-heated easily in the pan, then assembled in the tortilla shells!