- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons/11 milliliters) instant yeast
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) of anise-flavoured liqueur
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons (90 milliliters) sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons (60 milliliters) olive oil
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) all-purpose flour
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Juice of half a lemon, for garnish
- Honey, for drizzling
- Add yeast to liqueur with two tablespoons (30 milliliters) sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Beat eggs and remaining sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in olive oil, orange zest, lemon zest, and liqueur. Gradually add dry ingredients and yeast mixture to egg mixture, stirring, until batter is smooth.
- Line a large plate with a paper towel. Pour sunflower oil into a saucepan until it is three to five centimeters high. When oil has reached 350 F (175 C), drop a tablespoon (15 milliliters) of batter into the oil. Continue until all the batter is gone, working in batches. When the fritters are golden brown (approximately three to five minutes), remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel-lined plate.
- When you have fried all the dough, arrange fritters on a platter and drizzle with honey and lemon.