- 3 cups (720 milliliters) stale Italian bread, diced3 cups (720 ml) stale Italian bread, diced
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) milk
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) fresh marjoram, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 1.13 kilograms ground beef
- 1/2 cup raisins (120 milliliters), plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (120 milliliters), toasted, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) sugar
- 3/4 cup (180 milliliters) white wine vinegar
- Soak diced stale Italian bread in milk. When softened, mash into a puree. Add eggs and stir to combine. Add parsley, marjoram, cinnamon, and season with salt and pepper. Mix beef, raisins, and pine nuts into bread and herbs. Take a 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) of mixture and form into a round meatball. Repeat until the mixture is gone.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, then brown meatballs in batches. Transfer browned meatballs to a platter and set aside. When all meatballs have been browned, deglaze skillet with white wine vinegar. Sprinkle sugar over vinegar and whisk to combine. Add meatballs back to skillet and simmer over low heat, turning periodically, until sauce has thickened and meatballs have cooked through.
- Transfer meatballs to a serving platter, drizzle with sauce, and top with toasted pine nuts, raisins, and chopped parsley.