For the caramel sauce:
Combine the sugar, salt and Eagle sweetened condensed milk in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves then remove from the heat. Add the butter and vanilla to the sugar mixture and beat well until the butter melts.
- Steep coffee in hot water for approximately five minutes and then strain.
- Combine dates, one cup of water and strained coffee in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and mix in baking soda. Set aside to cool.
- Combine all remaining dry ingredients.
- n a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until pale and then add the vanilla and eggs slowly until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mix, and mix until combined.
- Add cooled date mixture to batter and fold together gently.
- Lightly oil 12 115 gram oven-safe dishes and place in a baking pan. Add water to dish reaching half way up the sides of the pudding dishes.
- Bake puddings in 350 degree F oven for 20- 24 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Cool slightly, remove the pudding from the molds onto individual serving dishes and drizzle with the caramel sauce.
- To finish, whip one can of Eagle sweetened condensed milk and add a good dollop to each serving. Make sure condensed milk is chilled when whipping.
Note: This is a household favourite dessert in my home. We serve it with whipped cream, ice cream, caramel sauce and when someone important is coming over. Cheers and merry merry.