- 1 kilogram scampi
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) saffron
- 3/4 cup (180 milliliters) dry white wine, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) breadcrumbs
- 570 grams canned peeled plum tomatoes, chopped (with liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) salt
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Wash the scampi under cold running water.
- Stir the saffron into the wine and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and sauté just until fragrant, then add the breadcrumbs and stir. Add the white wine and simmer until evaporated. Add the scampi, tomatoes, and salt to the pan and stir, then cook, covered, for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in parsley, and serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.