- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once to the wet ingredients and mix on low just until combined. Place the cookie dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a three centimeter thick disk. Wrap it up and place it into the fridge for at least one hour or up to overnight to chill.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust a large work surface with icing sugar, retrieve the cookie dough from the fridge, unwrap it, and place it onto the work surface. Dust the top of the dough with icing sugar and roll it out to about 3/4 centimeter thick.
- Using your favourite cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet, making sure to leave about two centimeters between each cookie.* Bake in the preheated oven nine to 12 minutes or until set and just a little golden. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool before digging in or decorating.
*If you want to hang these cookies on your tree, use a skewer or straw to punch a small hole at the top of each cookie before baking.
Stained glass cookies:
- Prepare the cookie dough as directed up to rolling it out. After rolling out the dough and cutting out shapes, cut a small window in the middle of each cookie that matches the shape of the cookie. Place the cookie onto the prepared baking sheet and spoon a small amount of the crushed candy into the window. Bake as directed above (the cookies will bake and the candies will melt into a thin sugary window!) and allow the cookies to cool completely before digging in or hanging on your tree.