- 6 cups (1.4 liters) beef broth
- 4 tablespoons (60 milliliters) butter, divided
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) saffron threads, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) Carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) beef bone marrow, optional
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) grated Parmesan, divided
- Heat broth over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- In a large skillet or heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt two tablespoons (30 milliliters) of butter. Add diced onion and sauté until browned. Crush 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) of saffron threads with the back of a spoon and add to diced onions. Add rice and stir to coat in butter. When rice starts to smell toasted, add dry white wine and bone marrow and stir to combine. When wine evaporates, add one cup (240 milliliters) of beef broth and stir periodically until broth has evaporated. Add another cup (240 milliliters) of beef broth and stir until the rice has absorbed it, then keep repeating until risotto is creamy but rice is still al dente.
- Remove from heat and add remaining butter, salt, pepper, and half of the grated Parmesan. Transfer risotto into four to six serving dishes. Top with remaining Parmesan and saffron.