- 4 cups (960 milliliters) whole milk
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) arborio rice
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) melted butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) ground almonds
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) candied lemon peel, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) ground cloves
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) maraschino cherry liqueur
- Heat oven to 350 F (175 F).
- Heat whole milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When milk just starts to boil add arborio rice and 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) sugar and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring periodically, until rice has absorbed almost all of the milk. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk egg yolks, eggs, remaining 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) sugar, melted butter, lemon zest, salt, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Add egg mixture to cooled rice mixture and stir to incorporate fully. Add ground almonds, candied lemon peel, cinnamon, and cloves and stir until combined.
- Transfer batter to a greased 20 centimeter springform pan and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with tinfoil, then bake for another 15-25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before removing the tinfoil and the edges of the spring form pan.
- Brush maraschino cherry liqueur over entire cake while still warm.
- Allow cake to cool and set before cutting into wedges. Dust with icing sugar and serve.