- Mix all ingredients (except for pork) in a bowl until evenly combined
- Rub mixture evenly over the four pieces of pork wrap with cling film and refrigerate for eight to 24 hours.
- Place pork on the bottom of an oven proof pot followed by the rest of the ingredients. Be sure to only use enough soda to cover the pork. Save the rest and serve in a glass with lots of ice, if you find the pop doesn't cover the pork just add a little water.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then turn to a gentle simmer and put on lid on the pot. Cook on medium low for about two hours or until the pork pulls apart easily (you can also cook in a 350 degree oven for about three hours, or in a slow cooker for six to eight hours).
- Remove the pork and place in a large bowl and proceed to shred the meat with two forks or place on a cutting board and chop, cover and set aside
I like to make this recipe a day ahead so the pork has a chance to rest in the liquid.
For the BBQ sauce:
- Place everything in a pot on a stove and bring to a boil on medium-high. Reduce to a simmer and cook until it thickens about 20-30 minutes. Set aside to serve.
- Add the sauce to the shredded meat, keeping in mind if you like it wet to add more sauce. If you like it a little drier, less sauce.
- Toast up a couple of soft buns - serve with Dijon, quick pickles. A frosty Dr Pepper or cold lager go great with this.