- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 ¾ cups pureed tomatoes (passata)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot pepper flakes, to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup fresh diced tomatoes, to garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, to garnish
- Bring large pot of boiling water to a boil. Generously salt.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente. If using peas, just before draining the pasta, add the peas, they will cook with the residual heat.
- Meanwhile, in skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Add garlic and cook until softens and turns lightly golden, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add oregano and hot pepper flakes.
- Remove pan from heat and add vodka.
- Return pan back to heat and let vodka reduce for 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomato puree and bring to a boil.
- Add cream and reduce to simmer, let simmer, until sauce thickens, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add pasta. Add some of pasta water to loosen, if needed. Toss to combine.
- Finish with freshly grated Parmesan. Garnish with diced tomatoes and chopped parsley.
The Marilyn Denis Show