- Stir all the ingredients for the oxtail marinade in a large bowl. Trim the fat off the oxtail and add the meat to the marinade. Let the meat marinade for three to four hours or overnight.
- In a deep pot heat canola oil to medium-high heat before adding in the brown sugar. Stir occasionally as the sugar begins to caramelize. The sugar will melt and turn a light brown/amber colour (if it burns you will have to throw it out and restart to avoid a bitter taste).
- Once the sugar is caramelized add the marinated oxtail into the pan. Brown all sides of the oxtail in the pan before adding the tomato paste, cinnamon stick, and scotch bonnet pepper.
- In a separate pot bring two liters of water to a boil and add dry Djon Djon Mushrooms. Turn off the heat and allow the mushrooms to steep in the liquid until the mushrooms are rehydrated.
- Once the oxtail has browned, add the rehydrated Djon Djon mushrooms and stock to the pot. Add thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, bay leaf and scallions.
- Bring oxtails to a simmer, cover the pot and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for three hours.
- To cook rice and beans bring a pot to medium high heat and sauté the epis, kidney beans, scotch bonnet pepper and thyme in oil until fragrant.
- Add one cup of rice and stir until coated. Add coconut milk, water, ground clove and bring to a boil. Once rice is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover for about 15 -20 minutes. Turn off the heat, uncover and fluff rice with a fork.
- Remove the pot of oxtail from the oven and return to the stove on medium high heat. Skim the fat from the top of the liquid and reduce the liquid until it coats the back of a spoon.
For more from Marc Kusitor, click here.