- Thinly spread mustard on top of each slice. Season beef slices with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Divide bacon, pickle, and onion slices on one end of each slice.
- Roll up slices, tucking the ends in and securing with skewers, wooden cocktail picks, or thread.
- Heat oil in skillet. Brown rouladen well on two sides.
- Once all rouladen are browned, add hot water to cover all meat, gently stirring up browned bits add beef bullion and bring to simmer and cover.
- Simmer for about an hour and a half.
- Combine about two tablespoons corn starch in a 1/2 cup cold water and stir gently into cooking liquid until thickened.
- Season gravy to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. If you wish, add sour cream to the gravy.
- Serve over bow noodles.
Tip: Have the butcher cut beef top round into thin slices, about one centimeter thick. Each roulade should measure at least six inches by four inches.