- Place a rack in the middle of your oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimless baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the oil and brown sugar until it looks like wet sand, two to three minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until thick and creamy, one to two minutes.
- Add the flour, oat flakes, oat bran, and baking soda and gently beat until combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir in well.
- Using a two-tablespoon ice-cream scoop with a release button, measure out and drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. You should get about ten on one baking sheet.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and let sit on the baking sheet for four minutes to set. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling. Finish baking the rest of the dough.
- Store the cooled cookies in a covered container for up to one week or freeze for up to three months.
NOTE: To make these gluten- free, use oat flour and large oat flakes that are labelled “gluten-free.”