- Preheat greased waffle maker to medium-high. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, ricotta, milk, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and gently stir just until combined. Spoon batter into waffle maker, close lid and cook until waffle is crisp. Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing waffle maker as needed between waffles.
- In a small saucepan, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, water and butter. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer, stirring often, for three minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Serve waffles topped with syrup.
- Make an extra batch, as these waffles freeze well. To reheat, pop them in the toaster or in the oven and heat until crisp.
- Store any leftover syrup in a jar and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
Courtesy of 'Best of Bridge Comfort Food' by Sylvia Kong and Emily Richards © 2019 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. Available where books are sold.