- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 20 centimeters round cake pan.
- Prepare the Streusel in a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Make the apple cake In a large bowl, combine the butter, white cane sugar, and brown sugar. Beat using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Whisk to combine. Add to the wet ingredients and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Stir in the Spartan and Granny Smith apples to combine. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing the top. Spread the Streusel evenly over the cake.
- Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling completely. Store covered at room temperature for up to three days.
Vegan caramel sauce:
- Place the flour in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the coconut cream, whisking until there are no lumps. Pour the mixture through a fine sieve to remove any remaining lumps.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and vegan butter. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Slowly whisk in the coconut cream mixture, then add the vanilla and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until it bubbles and thickens, two to three minutes.
- Set aside to cool. Store in a resealable container in the fridge for up to one week.
Excerpted from Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2019 by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography copyright © 2019 by Janis Nicolay. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.