- 12 large fresh sea scallops (U/10), cleaned and patted dry
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) fresh oregano, chopped
- Zest of 2 lemons, plus more for garnishing
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) butter
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Slice the scallops horizontally, leaving the very edge intact. Add basil, thyme, oregano, lemon zest, garlic, and two tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil to a bowl and stir to combine. Stuff scallops with the herb filling, then season with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter and remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear scallops in batches for about two to three minutes per side.
- Remove from heat, grate fresh lemon zest overtop, and plate with lemon wedges. Serve with Grilled Broccoli Rabe (see recipe).