- 4 medium Vidalia onions (or other sweet onion)
- 4 slices bacon, medium chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) pine nuts
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) arugula
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil to season and sauté
- Salt and pepper
- Turn on half of the barbeque to medium heat or 350 F (175 C).
- Cut a one centimeter slice off the top of each onion and discard.
- Scoop out the inside of each onion, leaving a six millimeter wall of onion, rub the onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet on the stove.
- Add bacon and cook.
- Add garlic and thyme, cook for two minutes.
- Add arugula and pine nuts, cook for two minutes until wilted.
- Add breadcrumbs, the blue cheese turn heat to low.
- Mix until the components are completely incorporated and not sticking to the pan.
- Divide mixture between the hollowed-out onions and top with the remaining blue cheese.
- Place each stuffed onion in the center of a baking sheet and place on the unlit side of the barbeque.
- Cook for 40 minutes with the lid closed using indirect heat or until an internal temperature of 140 F (60 C).
- Remove from barbeque serve warm.
- Note: Cooking times and temperatures will vary depending on the size and type of your barbeque.