24 SAGE LEAVES
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) salt
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) water
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) sparkling wine (or substitute with sparkling water)
- 18-24 large, fresh sage leaves (cleaned and dried)
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) frying oil
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Combine water and sparkling wine in a separate bowl. Slowly add water and sparkling wine into the flour mixture, stirring constantly, until you reach a thin, creamy consistency.
- In a frying pan with high sides, heat oil until 350 F (175 C). Working in batches, dip sage leaves in batter, then add to frying pan, making sure to submerge them in the oil. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. When leaves are light golden and crispy, remove and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve on top of Many Mushroom Soup (see recipe).