- In a large glass pitcher, combine sugar and lemon juice. Stir to mix until sugar is completely dissolved. Add lemon slices and water, then cucumbers and basil.
- Refrigerate for four hours.
- Fill four tall glasses with ice and pour lemonade overtop. Garnish each glass with a lemon slice and serve with a tall straw.
Variation: Summer Chiller
- Fill a blender halfway with ice. Add lemonade and a splash of vodka, gin, or bourbon.
- Purée the mixture until slushy and serve.
Variation 2: Rosemary Berry Fizz
- Replace the cucumbers with two cups of sliced strawberries. Reduce the water to five cups. Add twp cans of club soda. Replace the basil with rosemary.
Variation 3: Watermelon and Raspberry Lemonade
- In a blender or food processor, purée three cups chopped watermelon.
- Fill an ice cube tray with mixture and freeze overnight.
- Prepare the lemonade as instructed above, eliminating the cucumber and basil and adding 1 1/2 cups raspberries.
- Fill four glasses with frozen watermelon cubes and pour the lemonade overtop. Garnish each tall glass with a lemon slice and a small sprig of mint. (You could also add 1 1/2 ounces of gin or tequila to each glass.)