- 2.5 kilograms russet potatoes
- 2/3 cup (160 milliliters) goose fat, melted (may substitute butter), divided
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) fresh tarragon, leaves only
- 3/4 cup (180 milliliters) parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) Goose Stock (see recipe, may substitute chicken stock)
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Peel the potatoes. Use a mandoline to cut into thin slices.
- Add the potatoes, about one third of the goose fat, and most of the thyme, tarragon, parmesan, salt and pepper to a large bowl and toss until evenly coated.
- Add some more of the goose fat, cheese, and the remainder of the herbs to a square 20x20 centimeter baking dish.
- Arrange the potatoes in the dish by standing them upright until you have a row that spans from one side of the dish to the other.
- Continue layering the potatoes this way until the dish is completely full, making sure not to pack them too tightly.
- Add remainder of goose fat and ladle the Goose Stock over the top.
- Place in the oven and cook twenty to twenty-five minutes until crispy and golden brown. Cover with foil, reduce heat to 325 F (160 C), and cook another seventy-five to ninety minutes.
- Serve warm in the baking dish.