- 2 cups (480 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) whole milk
- 58 grams dark chocolate, grated, plus more for garnish
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) almond liqueur (or substitute with almond extract)
- Heat heavy cream, whole milk, and dark chocolate in a pot over medium-heat until mixture just starts to bubble. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks with half of the sugar and two tablespoons (30 milliliters) water. Remove cream mixture from heat and pour half into the yolk mixture, whisking vigorously. Transfer yolk mixture back into pot with remaining cream and whisk. Turn heat to low, whisking for about five minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, add sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat so that the bottom of the pan is evenly coated. When the edges start to caramelize, gently stir edges into middle, then continue to do so occasionally. As soon as the sugar is a dark amber colour, remove from heat. Add caramelized sugar to custard mixture along with almond liqueur. Remove custard from heat, then strain to remove any sediment.
- Divide custard between four serving dishes and top with grated dark chocolate. Serve with Valdostana Tile Cookies (see recipe).