- 2/3 cup (160 milliliters) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) sugar
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) grated unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) crumbled tea biscuit cookies or animal crackers
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) peeled, chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) peeled, sliced almonds
- Oil, for misting
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Add butter, sugar, grated unsweetened chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt to a bowl and heat over a double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan filled with gently simmering water), stirring frequently, until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Pour half of the chocolate mixture into a bowl with the whisked eggs, whisking vigorously. Transfer the egg and chocolate mixture back into the bowl with chocolate and stir vigorously until smooth. Add crumbled tea biscuits, chopped hazelnuts, and sliced almonds, folding to combine evenly.
- Mist a large piece of waxed paper with oil and transfer mixture onto sheet. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Once chilled, shape mixture into a log and roll into the shape of a salami with rounded edges. Wrap in parchment paper, then twist edges to hold chocolate in its shape while chilling. Chill overnight in refrigerator.
- Unwrap chocolate salami and before presenting dish, wrap in butcher twine just as you would a meat salami. Dust with icing sugar. Serve in slices.