- Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions and preheat the oven to 200ºF.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips, if using, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry just until almost combined then set aside.
- In clean medium bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, whip the egg whites just until stiff peaks form. Fold about a third of the egg whites into the batter mixture then fold in the rest just until combined (a few streaks of egg white is still ok – just don’t overmix).
- Spray your waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray then cook the waffles until crisp on both sides. Keep warm in the preheated oven or serve immediately with butter, maple syrup, whipped cream, and/or raspberry sauce.
*Your favourite gluten free all-purpose flour will work really well in these waffles.