- 1 cup (240 milliliters) milk
- 14 grams (about 2 tablespoons [30 milliliters]) gelatin
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) sugar
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) sweetened chestnut puree
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) salt
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- Segments and juice from 2 oranges
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Add milk to a saucepan and sprinkle gelatin powder overtop. Let this sit for five minutes.
- Set the saucepan over low heat and whisk until gelatin is dissolved (if you rub the cream between your fingers, you should feel no grain). Whisk in heavy cream, sugar, sweetened chestnut puree, salt, and seeds of vanilla pod. Simmer over low, whisking until sugar is dissolved and liquid is hot to the touch (do not boil).
- Strain liquid through a sieve to remove any impurities. Divide mixture between four or six ramekins (depending on size). Refrigerate ramekins for at least four hours or overnight.
- Remove ramekins from refrigerator and place in a shallow bath of hot water for a minute. Run a thin knife along the outside of the ramekins and invert onto small plates.
- Serve topped with orange segments and juice, and basil leaves.