- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 C).
- Dredge the beef cubes in flour. In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil, then brown the meat on all sides.
- Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for three to four minutes. Add the wine, broth, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, and dried thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to the oven. Bake for about two hours.
- In the meantime, prepare the onions. For easy peeling, blanch them in boiling water for two minutes. In a skillet, brown the bacon. Remove the bacon from the skillet, leaving the fat. Add mushrooms to the skillet and saute in the bacon fat.
- Roughly 20 minutes before the beef mixture has finished cooking, add the bacon, onions, and mushrooms to the Dutch oven and place back in the oven to finish cooking. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
This recipe is used with permission and is owned by Le Baratin restaurant.