- 2 cups (480 milliliters) flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups (360 milliliters) buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) baking soda
- 3 cups (720 milliliters) Italian beer (or substitute with red lager or sparkling water)
- 340 grams Valtellina Casera cheese (or substitute with Fontina cheese)
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Sliced bresaolo (or substitute with prosciutto)
- Add flour, buckwheat flour, salt, fresh ground pepper, and baking soda to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually add beer, while whisking continuously, until the batter has a thick, smooth consistency. Cover the batter and let rest at room temperature for one hour.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan to 325-350 F (160-175 C).
- Dice cheese into 1 1/4 centimeter cubes and toss with three tablespoons (45 milliliters) flour. Add cheese to bowl of batter in batches, tossing to coat fully. Fry coated cheese in batches (do not overcrowd) for two to three minutes, or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper-towel covered plate.
- Serve with sliced bresaolo on a bed of arugula.