- 1 1/4 cup (300 milliliters) warm milk
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (11 milliliters) active dry yeast
- 4 cups (960 milliliters) flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons (90 milliliters) softened butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) water
- Chocolate and Pistachio Gelato, for serving
- Whipped cream, for topping
- In a bowl, combine warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Let sit ten minutes, or until frothy. Add one cup (240 milliliters) of the flour and mix in. Cover and let sit 30 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Add remaining flour and softened butter to a separate bowl. Work together with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the centre, and pour in the yeast mixture. Add three of the beaten eggs. Mix together using your hands.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface. Knead dough until it becomes smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, and cover. Let rest two hours, or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough to release air. Turn out onto a floured counter and knead for a few more minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces of equal size. Roll into balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rest for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C). Add one cup (240 milliliters) water to a baking tray or casserole dish and place on the lower rack (this will create steam). Whisk the water in a bowl with the remaining egg to make an egg wash. Uncover the dough and brush with the egg wash. Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and let cool. Once cool, cut in half and fill with two scoops (one chocolate and one pistachio) of gelato. Top with whipped cream.