- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 kilogram oxtail, cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2-4 cups (480-960 milliliters) beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter and olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat, then add oxtail and cook until browned on all sides. Remove oxtail to a bowl and set aside. Reduce heat under pan to medium-low, then add another tablespoon (15 milliliters) of butter, the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery and cook until soft. Add red wine, then cook until nearly evaporated.
- Add tomato paste and parsley to pan, stir, and then add the oxtail back to pan. Add beef broth until the oxtail is just covered. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for at least four hours, adding more broth when necessary to keep the oxtail covered. The oxtail is ready when the meat is falling off the bone, and the sauce is thick and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with parsley.