- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a mini muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, with the lid slightly ajar, for 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is fluffy. Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor, combine the cooked quinoa, beets, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao powder, coconut sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Pulse until smooth. Remove the blade and fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 18 minutes, or until the tops have a few cracks and a fork inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin for five minutes. Tip out the cupcakes and transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week or in a resealable plastic freezer bag in the freezer for up to three months.
Excerpted from The Joyous Cookbook by Joy McCarthy. Copyright © 2019 by Joy McCarthy. Published by Penguin an imprint of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.