- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) high quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) chicken stock, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) butter
- Loaf of crusty bread
- Grilled Radicchio Salad (see recipe)
- Add pieces of chicken thighs to a large freezer bag with balsamic, garlic, shallots, thyme, salt and pepper. Shake bag and massage pieces through bag to ensure they are fully coated in marinade. Refrigerate marinating chicken for at least six hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from freezer bag, reserving marinade. Pat chicken thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add pieces of chicken in batches, browning each side. Transfer all browned pieces of chicken, skin-side up, back into skillet. Pour in reserved marinade and dry red wine. Cover skillet with lid and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes, turning pieces of chicken periodically. Add chicken stock part-way though, adding more if needed to replenish liquid.
- Remove chicken pieces. Increase heat to medium and reduce sauce until it coats the back of a spoon. Add a tablespoon of butter and whisk to combine. Pour reduced sauce over chicken. Serve with crusty bread and Grilled Radicchio Salad (see recipe).