- Using a sharp knife, cut along the length of the chillies (being careful not to cut through to the other side) to create a pocket. Leave the tops intact.
- Use the knife to carefully devein and remove seeds from the chillies.
- Preheat barbecue to 375 F (190 C).
- Mix cream cheese with chives, green onion, lemon zest, salt, and ground black pepper. Place mixture in resealable bag. Remove all air from the bag and cut off the corner. Fill each chilli by squeezing the cream cheese mixture from the corner of the bag. Wrap three slices of bacon around each chilli and secure with toothpicks.
- Place chillies on hot grill.
- Cook for two to three minutes per side or until bacon is crispy and chilli is hot.
- Remove from grill.
- Serve hot.
Note: Cooking times and temperatures will vary depending on the size and type of your barbecue.